August 11, 2014

Mom,

How are you! {theres no question mark on this keyboard, so i´ll just use the exclamation point for everything}

Things here are great. Im coming to know the Savior so much better.

Elder Beck and I are doing great. We have a very similar sense of humor, so it´s been great. We had a beautiful baptism last week of a young man named Vitor {veetor} His uncle showed up at church two weeks ago. He´s a recent convert from Minas Gerais, another Brasilian state that´s very far away. He came down to Sao Paulo to visit his family. He came up to us at church and asked us to visit his family. Vitor was a blessing from heaven. Now, after a very touching baptismal reunion, his mother is interested in learning more abou the Restored Gospel. 

I was listening to a talk the other day by David A. Bednar, called Things as they Really are. I was waiting til I get home to tell you, but Itd be better now. Elder Bednar talks about how satan doesn´t just try to make us misuse our bodies, but even more subtly, even perhaps more destructively, he temts us to underuse them, hiding our talents and numbing ourselves to things as they really are.

Satan also strives to entice the sons and daughters of God to minimize the importance of their physical bodies. This particular type of attack is most subtle and diabolical. I want to provide several examples of how the adversary can pacify and lull us away into a sense of carnal security (see 2 Nephi 28:21) and encourage us to put at risk the earthly learning experiences that caused us to shout for joy in the premortal existence (see Job 38:7).
Sadly, some young men and young women in the Church today ignore “things as they really are” and neglect eternal relationships for digital distractions, diversions, and detours that have no lasting value. My heart aches when a young couple—sealed together in the house of the Lord for time and for all eternity by the power of the holy priesthood—experiences marital difficulties because of the addicting effect of excessive video gaming or online socializing. A young man or woman may waste countless hours, postpone or forfeit vocational or academic achievement, and ultimately sacrifice cherished human relationships because of mind- and spirit-numbing video and online games. As the Lord declared, “Wherefore, I give unto them a commandment … : Thou shalt not idle away thy time, neither shalt thou bury thy talent that it may not be known” (D&C 60:13).


I´ve thought a lot recently, and I am determined not to let myself get into video games, or any other type of media ever again. I was absorbed in it at times before my mission, and I sincerely feel that it has the potential to hinder my eternal progression. My companion and I have great, gospel centered talks throughout our days. One day, after talking for a while, we decided together never to let ourselves get involved in video gaming ever again. I wont have much time to anyway, but I have made mental plans of how I will cease from being idle. I will occupy myself constantly with music, learning new instruments, playing sports, exercising, or having wholesome fun with friends. But I will need your help, as well as Dads, in this endeavor. It´s easy now, I can´t even look at video games. But, I know how satan will attack me after. There are people that can play in moderation, but I dont think Ill be able to do that. I already wasted much time, as well as much potential, on useless games. NEVER AGAIN!

I hope everything is well at home. I miss you guys, and I REALLY miss Grant. I already have my 2 day home planned out. I´m gonna spend the whole day with him. He can figure out and decide what we´ll do, but I´m pumped. But don´t worry, I´m not losing focus here. 

I´m so grateful that I was born where I was, to the parents that I have. I hope and pray that I´ll be able to be like you when I´m a father.

I bear my special witness that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. I know that prayer is powerful. I have learned that as we are constantly, throughout the day praying, counseling e thanking our Heavenly Father, WE WILL BE HAPPIER. The Lord doesn´t expect us to pray twice a day. He expects us to pray ALWAYS {D&C 10:5}. I love my Savior. He is my best friend. I know that there is a balm in Gilead, that He lives to wipe away our tears, and strengthen the feeble knees. I also know that He expects us to do likewise.

Love you Mom!

Élder Samuel Wayne Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment